PHP 8.0.x?

Phoca Maps - displaying maps in Joomla! CMS
nicstar25
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

PHP 8.0.x?

Post by nicstar25 »

Hello!

Is phoca maps 3.0.12 compatible with php 8.0.x?

Best wishes
Nic
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: PHP 8.0.x?

Post by Jan »

Hi, if you run obsolete Joomla 3, then it is not good idea to run PHP 8. If you want to run PHP 8 then use newest Joomla and newest Phoca Maps (Joomla 4 and Phoca Maps 4). For now I don't know if Phoca Maps 3 will run with PHP 8 (as I didn't test to run obsolete version on new PHP).

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
Dautrich
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by Dautrich »

Hi Jan,
I don't completely agree to your statement. I have a site with quite a number of extensions and still running on J3.10. I want to update to J4 as soon as possible, but at least one of my essential extensions is not yet ready for J4.
But regarding PHP, I'm running out of time because PHP 7.4 goes EOL this year. That's why I would like to upgrade my site to PHP 8, even while still running J3.10.
What do you think?
Rolf
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, to be precise, my statement is based on reality as it is and not on an ideal solution. Yes, will be great if someone will update obsolete extension to newest PHP 8 and if there will be someone, I will immediately release it. But for now my time is very limited and Joomla and PHP change dramatically so I have the choice - to update extensions to work with current Joomla 4 or to update obsolete extensions so they are ready for PHP8. Unfortunately I am not the one who can decide, I need to follow Joomla and PHP changes and if the update is not possible for obsolete extensions, at least for the current ones.

So yes, if there will be someone who will update Joomla 3 extension for latest PHP 8, I will immediately release it.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project