Alternative to youtube

Phoca Download - download manager
greyman56
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Alternative to youtube

Post by greyman56 »

Hi,

Has anyone created a plugin or modification to insert links to other video sharing platforms such as bitchute, odysee, or rumble?

If not, how could this function be included? By plugin? By additional code in the main component? Or modify the youtube code to detect other URLs?

thanks, Graham
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Alternative to youtube

Post by Jan »

Hi, in Phoca Download description, you can add any content plugin displaying video server by selected service. So if you will find soem Joomla content plugin which allows to display videos by such services, you can even add it to Phoca Download description.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
greyman56
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by greyman56 »

Thanks Jan,

For the admins of the new site I'm working on, I like the simplicity of the youtube method you use and pasting the URL into one box and the code works out how to display it.

I would like to have a go at modifying the PD code to work out how to do other video sharing platforms in a similar manner with either a drop down for the platform or automatically adjust as we are displaying the vid.

I have tried to find guidelines for how to contribute to your FOSS project on github, or send you the updated or diff files, but haven't found any. Would you mind describing the method to contribute? I am good at coding but inexperienced with contributing back on github.
Things like:-
  • Clone repo
  • Create new branch from master
  • Edit files
  • Merge back to master
  • Submit pull request back to upstream master
Happy to discuss elsewhere if you want.

Graham
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, the easiest way is just make fork of the project and make changes there. This is not something specific to Phoca or Joomla, it is just standard Github way.

BTW mostly the better way is to do own plugin and then only add events to the core, so such plugin can be used - then you are independent on the core and you can update or improve your plugin without need to ask for changes in core.

Jan
greyman56
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by greyman56 »

When you say "do own plugin", do you mean a Joomla plugin or a Phoca Download plugin?
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, Phoca Download is a Joomla plugin, so hard to answer the question.

Usually it works this way:

- There is e.g. component - e.g. Phoca Download
- Such component can include different events which accepts different plugins (such plugins are loaded inside Phoca Download and executed)

And it does not matter if the plugin is some Joomla plugin or some specific Phoca Download plugin. You can run each plugin in component event (it depends which plugin type will be called)

Of course the best way is to use some specific component plugin to be sure, only such type of plugins will load there and not some genaral plugins (as on your site there can be a lot of general plugins and you probably don't want to render all of them in your code)

Example: Phoca Cart
Phoca Cart has events in checkout e.g. for Phoca Cart shipping plugins (not some general plugins) so on the place of event only shipping plugins are loaded and rendered.

So doing own plugin means, that such plugin will be component specific and the event in component will load only this type of plugin.

Jan
greyman56
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by greyman56 »

Thanks Jan,

I am either missing something or a plugin will not actually work for allowing alternative video sharing platforms to youtube.

Looking in the layout.php file in the render library, there does not seem to be any hooks for a plugin to get fired from.

I will re-write that code or create an over-ride I think.

cheers, Graham
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, I speak about the description in Phoca Download file view:

components/com_phocadownload/views/file/tmpl/default.php

Code: Select all

$pdDescription .= '<div class="pd-fdesc">'. HTMLHelper::_('content.prepare', $v->description) . '</div>';