Display image instead of folder icon

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
lee_haire
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Display image instead of folder icon

Post by lee_haire »

Hi,

I can't get the category image to display in place of folder icon for subcategories. I must be missing something basic here, but I can't spot it. I have read through the documentation and also many posts in this forum, but I can't figure it out.

I am on Joomla 4.2.9 with Phoca Gallery 4.5.4

Here is how I have set this up:

I use Phoca Gallery Tree component to navigate categories and subcategories:

I have specified the image directly in the subcategory itself. This is the image I want to use for the folder. Example:

In the main settings under Category View, I have the set the option Display Image Instead Of Folder Icon = "Yes":

When I go the parent category (Blue-Green in this example), the folder icon for the subcategory (Inozetek) is still displaying instead of the image specified for that subcategory:

What else might I be missing?

Thanks,
Lee
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Display image instead of folder icon

Post by Jan »

Hi, display image instead of category means, that some image from the category will be selected and this will represent the category. This is different to when you select the image directly for the category. So the question is, does the category include images?

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
lee_haire
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by lee_haire »

Hi Jan,

This category itself does not contain any images. It is only used to act as a parent to further subcategories. However, I still want to display an image for this category (instead of a folder icon).

As a further question, I am having difficulty understanding the purpose of the Image in the Category definition (since apparently it is not used in place of the folder icon)?

Regards,
Lee
lee_haire
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by lee_haire »

I should also point out that for those (sub)categories which do contain images, the folder icon still displays (instead of an image from that category). For example, Set 1 in below screenshot has 8 images. Yet, the folder icon is still displaying instead of one of the 8 images.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, now I understand, the image is not displayed in the section above iamges. It is only displayed in case, the categories are displayed in the same boxes like images. Or in categories view.

Jan
lee_haire
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by lee_haire »

Jan wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 00:51 Hi, now I understand, the image is not displayed in the section above iamges. It is only displayed in case, the categories are displayed in the same boxes like images. Or in categories view.

Jan
Hi Jan - thanks for the clarification. So, what is the way to display categories in same boxes (as images) instead of above the images (as in my example)? I'm not sure I understand the concept regarding this.

Thanks
Lee
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, images instead of folder icons are displayed in the same layout as the standard images. To display images in list of subcatgories above the images, there needs to be done template override of the following file:

components/com_phocagallery/views/category/tmpl/default_categories.php

Jan
lee_haire
Phoca Member
Phoca Member

Post by lee_haire »

Ok, thanks Jan.